[WSMDiscuss] India in movement…. : Fwd: PRESS RELEASE: 25 July 2017, New Delhi: Narmada Bachao Andolan welcomes the support extended by the Communist Party of India

JS CACIM jai.sen at cacim.net
Tue Jul 25 17:44:21 CEST 2017

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

India in movement….

[This post is again about the once-iconic struggle over the dams on the Narmada River in India.  In the current context, where the project authorities / read government have closed the gates of the Sardar Sarovar Dam that is now at full height and therefore caused massive additional flooding and misery to tens of thousands of people, it’s good to see at least one of the ‘national’ political parties – even if one of the smaller ones – taking a position on the issue.  From a situation where there was once a vibrant public debate in the country on so-called ‘development’ issues and on issues of human rights and freedoms, and where many if not all political parties took positions on all or at least most such issues, a deathly silence now seems to have descended on the public sphere, where parties now seem to have nothing to say on so many issues, one way or the other.  This is a small point, but has huge ramifications…

[Sadly, the late and always feisty Peter Waterman – for those who didn't know him, labour historian, feminist, ‘cyberian’ (as he called it), and movement theorist and practitioner - is no longer around to comment on this support (after leaving the Communist Party in the 1950s and becoming a free-thinking independent radical, he developed a visceral dislike and distrust of all communist parties) – but my guess is that he would definitely have had something interesting to say, even on this development !:

Press Release :

Narmada Bachao Andolan welcomes the support extended by the Communist Party of India

Narmada Bachao Andolan

            JS

fwd

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: napm india <napmindia at gmail.com>
> Subject: PRESS RELEASE: 25 July 2017, New Delhi: Narmada Bachao Andolan welcome the support extended by CPI
> Date: July 25, 2017 at 10:27:49 AM EDT
> To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Narmada Bachao Andolan welcome the support extended by CPI

On 25 July 2017, The Communist party of India issued a statement and declared their support to the 32-year long struggle of the lakhs of people of Narmada Valley and Narmada Bachao Andolan. Even after the Supreme Court order dated 8 February 2017 which talks about “COMPLETE REHABILITATION” first, before eviction has been violently implemented and dishonored by the State Government. Lakhs of people are to be rehabilitated, which seems impossible with the pending work of rehabilitation sites but this Government’s focus is more towards evicting people from their land with or without justice.

Sudhakar Reddy, General Secretary, CPI condemned the move of the Government and said that development should take place, not at the peril of poor and nature. The Government’s move of increasing the height of the dam from 122m to 139m has caused misery to the 40,000 families of the Sardar Sarovar dam affected people of Narmada Valley.

CPl appealed the Supreme Court to entrust a fact finding mission and halt all further steps till the report is examined and urged the Government to stop eviction till each and every single person of the Sardar Sarovar Project affected oustees get rehabilitated, without which development will not have any meaning.  Sudhakar Reddy spoke to Medha Patkar and expressed his personal support to the movement following which they have issued a Press Release.

New Delhi,

July 25, 2017

PRESS RELEASE

Stop Eviction of Narmada Dam Affected People

The National Secretariat of the Communist Party of India (CPI) issued the following statement to the Press:

The National Secretariat of the Communist Party of India expresses solidarity with the struggling people of Narmada Valley and declares its unflinching support with them. The new phase of their struggle is to protect their right for resettlement and rehabilitation as promised by the government. It is part of their 32 year long struggle for existence.

The move of the government to increase the height of the dam from 122m to 139m has caused unexplainable misery to large number of people. 178 villages and a town will be submerged in Madhya Pradesh due to this move for so called development 40,000 families will be displaced. The CPI reiterates its position that development should take place not at the peril of poor and nature.

The Supreme Court deadline of July 31st is fast approaching and the rehabilitation measures are not even halfway. Thousands of poor people in the submerged valley will be displaced and thrown to extreme hardships in this rainy season. The governments are hiding the real situation regarding resettlement and rehabilitation from the court as well as the public. Hence, the CPl appeals the Supreme Court to entrust a fact finding mission and halt all further steps till the report is examined.

CPI urges upon the government to stop eviction, till foolproof alternative arrangement of shelter, drinking water, transport and other facilities are arranged for displaced families. Land for the landless and livelihood for the displaced is an undeniable right. Without that development will have no meaning.

(Roykutty)

Office Secretary

--
National Alliance of People’s Movements
National Office : 6/6, Jangpura B, Mathura Road, New Delhi 110014

--

______________________________

Jai Sen

jai.sen at cacim.net <mailto:jai.sen at cacim.net>
www.cacim.net <http://www.cacim.net/> / http://www.openword.net.in

Now based in New Delhi, India (+91-98189 11325) and in Ottawa, Canada, on unceded Anishinaabe territory (+1-613-282 2900)

Recent publications :

Jai Sen, ed, 2016  – The Movements of Movements, Part 1 : What Makes Us Move ? (forthcoming in 2017 from New Delhi : OpenWord and Oakland, CA : PM Press), ADVANCE PREFINAL ONLINE MOVEMENT EDITION @ www.cacim.net <http://www.cacim.net/>
Jai Sen, ed, 2013 – The Movements of Movements : Struggles for Other Worlds, Part I. Prefinal version of Volume 4 Part I in the Challenging Empires series. New Delhi : OpenWord.  Prefinal version 1.0 available @ http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/the_movements_of_movements/ <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/the_movements_of_movements/>
FORTHCOMING PUBLICATIONS  :

Jai Sen, ed, 2017a – The Movements of Movements, Part 1 : What Makes Us Move ?.  Volume 4 in the Challenging Empires series (New Delhi : OpenWord and Oakland, CA : PM Press).  Available for pre-order at PM Press <http://www.pmpress.org/>
&

Jai Sen, ed, 2017b – The Movements of Movements, Part 2 : Rethinking Our Dance.  Volume 5 in the Challenging Empires series (New Delhi : OpenWord and Oakland, CA : PM Press)

CHECK OUT CACIM @ www.cacim.net <http://www.cacim.net/>, OpenWord @ http://www.openword.net.in <http://www.openword.net.in/>, and OpenSpaceForum @ www.openspaceforum.net <http://www.openspaceforum.net/>
AND SUBSCRIBE TO World Social Movement Discuss, an open, unmoderated, and self-organising forum for the exchange of information and views on the experience, practice, and theory of social and political movement at any level (local, national, regional, and global), including the World Social Forum.  To subscribe, simply send an empty email to wsm-discuss-subscribe at lists.openspaceforum.net <mailto:wsm-discuss-subscribe at lists.openspaceforum.net>