[WSMDiscuss] Advice on crits of the 4th Industrial Revo?

Subramanya Sastry sastry at cs.wisc.edu
Sun Apr 29 17:50:13 CEST 2018

I don't know if they are progressive critiques .. but I find the
following personally interesting .. at least in terms of illuminating
the issues a bit more, so the critiques can be more grounded as well. I
have a disdain for hype in any field and thoroughly dislike the "AI"
term -- it is distracting and muddles issues. Machine learning / machine
intelligence or more specific terms are preferable.

1.
https://medium.com/@mijordan3/artificial-intelligence-the-revolution-hasnt-happened-yet-5e1d5812e1e7

2. The debate between Ray Kurzweill and PZ Myers -
https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/08/17/ray-kurzweil-does-not-understa/
and
https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/08/21/kurzweil-still-doesnt-understa/
and
http://www.skepticblog.org/2010/08/23/kurzweil-vs-myer-on-brain-complexity/

3. https://www.wired.com/2017/04/the-myth-of-a-superhuman-ai/ (Kevin Kelly)

4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSSmmlridUM (Zeynep Tufecki's TED
talk - Machine intelligence makes human morals more important)

Blockchain:

1. Open the 'Show comments' link at the bottom and see Tim Starling's
comment @
https://theconversation.com/what-wikipedia-can-teach-us-about-blockchain-technology-92934
-- that comment is useful in helping clarify what Blockchain is about by
contrasting it with wikipedia's arbitration processes.

The other tangential book to consider is 'Normal Accidents' by Charles
Perrow that sheds light on inevitability of accidents in complex systems
and technologies ... and I think some of the arguments made there are
applicable to machine intelligence, "internet of things", etc as they
get deployed in more interconnected ways.

2. I have heard good things about this book although I haven't read it
.. so, take that recommendation for what it is ..
https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/book/

Subbu.