[WSMDiscuss] Dalits in movement…, Indigenous Peoples in movement…, India in movement… : Fwd: #DalitsAdivasisResist – 1st May to be Observed as “National Resistance Day’ Against the Supreme Court Judgment on SC-ST Act

JS CACIM jai.sen at cacim.net
Mon Apr 30 07:11:44 CEST 2018

Monday, April 30, 2018

Dalits in movement…, Indigenous Peoples in movement…, India in movement…

[In the last post I did on the rising Dalit resistance in India against the hugely sharpening atrocities they are facing (‘Recall SC/ST Act order, creating anger, disharmony : Govt to Supreme Court’; ‘Caught in a spiral of assertion and insecurity, young Dalits in Madhya Pradesh are growing angry’, on April 13 2018), one of the articles quoted Jignesh Mevani - a new, young, and rising Dalit leader - as saying :

“Mevani also took the opportunity to hit out at the BJP, accusing it of trying to repeal the SC/ST law altogether. “The BJP government is trying to repeal the SC/ST Act. The way the Central government failed to present before the Supreme Court discrimination of Dalits and tribals taking place even today, shows that they have put all efforts to repeal the SC/ST law,” he added. He urged Dalits and tribals to observe Ambedkar’s birth anniversary as a “a day of resistance” and not a celebration.”

[Dalits had already taken to the streets in a massive way on April 2 against the rising oppression – public flogging, lynching, rape, and other acts of bestial violence – they and Muslims and other minorities are facing from Hindutva forces in India today, and more specifically against the dilution of the so-called ‘SC/ST Act’ (which gave them at least some protection against casteist violence); and they paralysed and shut down many of the country’s cities and towns.  Ambedkar’s birth anniversary was then the next day, April 14; just two weeks later, the resistance is now taking the next, massive step – and, not without meaning, knowingly using May Day as the day, since they (for anyone on this list who doesn’t know this) constitute and contribute a very major proportion of ‘labour’ in this increasingly prosperous country but where they barely get to share any of the new wealth - and to the opposite, are facing nothing but deepening oppression and removal of what little they have.

[As I see them, this step contains four further very significant developments : First, that Adivasi [‘tribal’, indigenous peoples] organisations are now part of the emerging force (as I commented in my covering note at that time, they seemed to not be present then); second, that they have together formed a body called the ‘National Coalition for Strengthening POA Act and its Implementation’; third, and not to be missed, they have - very appropriately, consciously, and meaningfully - appropriated the term ‘National’, and are thus openly contesting the contemporary appropriation of the term ‘national’ by so-called (Hindu) nationalists and supremacists; and therefore fourth, they are together also changing the meaning of May Day forever.  This is a very powerful step in the struggle over meanings at a world level, and a totally new step of power in the public realm, with profound meanings and consequences in the India of today and for the India of the future.

[In short, we are – I believe - witnessing the emergence of a powerful new civil rights movement in India, where diverse streams of resentment and resistance are today flowing together to form what is becoming a massive river of a new movement for freedom;  and with the so-called ‘subaltern’, Dalits and Adivasis, in the leadership, not as has happened traditionally, led by middle and upper castes, such as happened in the Independence movement and is still true of most movements in India, whether party-led or independent and non-party in nature.  This is nothing less than historic :

#DalitsAdivasisResist – 1st May to be Observed as “National Resistance Day’ Against the Supreme Court Judgment on SC-ST Act

National Coalition for Strengthening POA Act and its Implementation

“Dalits and Adivasi organisations from all over the country have planed to take to the streets on May 1st, which is also a Labour Day.  Dalits and Adivasi organisations have decided to observe 1st May as ‘National Resistance Day’.

“The call for holding the protest and observing 1st May as National Resistance Day has been given by a collective of more than 500 Dalit and Adivasi organisations which goes under the banner of ‘National Coalition for Strengthening POA Act and its Implementation’.”

            Thanks for posting this, Dr Berwa.  In deep solidarity and dignified rage,

            JS

fwd

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "lberwa47 at gmail.com" <lberwa47 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [pmarc] Fwd: [New post] #DalitsAdivasisResist – 1st May to be Observed as “National Resistance Day’ Against the Supreme Court Judgment on SC-ST Act
> Date: April 30, 2018 at 8:19:27 AM GMT+5:30
> To: "Dalits Media Watch" <PMARC at dgroups.org>

Just to share with you all and to to have widespread publicity of this poster from Velivada if you already don't have it.

Dr.Berwa